I had the chance to speak with Doctor Dread recently about his new venture into the world of Jamaican food products. If you read this blog then you know that he has been a supporter of MIDNIGHT RAVER and our vision for spreading conscious roots vibes through the preservation and sharing of reggae archives, interviews, and other media. He has also made substantial contributions from his own collection for sharing here on the blog. Doctor Dread is known throughout the industry as a man with a deep appreciation and respect for this music, and a the artists who make it.
1. Tell the folks a little bit about yourself, your background (this is a way to introduce the fact that you have dedicated your life’s work to spreading the gospel of Jamaica through music, and now food.
“I am the founder of ras records having worked with such artists as Bunny Wailer, Black Uhuru,Israel Vibration, Yellowman, Gregory Isaacs, Inner Circle, Don Carlos and many many more. RAS released over 300 reggae albums in our 25 year history. We also distributed every reggae label on earth and helped to spread reggae music globally by touring our artists and licensing our music for sale in territories such as Japan, Nigeria, South Africa, Jamaica, Europe, South America, Canada and more.”
2. Can you talk a bit about your new line of ‘Doctor Dread’s Original Jerk Potato Chips’?
“As an innovator and trendsetter, I and I have been at the forefront of creating new concepts in music. ‘Reggae for Kids,’ ‘Charlie Chaplin Live,’ the ‘Rastafari Elders,’ are just a few of the projects which reflect an awareness of creating music for those who will respond. In the creation of ‘Doctor Dread’s Original Jerk Potato Chips’ I have created the first jerk potato chips in the history of the world. By taking a favorite American snack food and marrying it with the flavor of Jamaican jerk spices I have created a unique new taste experience that people are going wild for. It is through the inspiration of Jah that these ideas manifest themselves in I-man.”
3. Where can people expect to find these chips? For people who live in an area where there are no stores stocked with ‘Doctor Dread’s Original Jerk Potato Chips’ can they contact you directly if they wish to order?
“To order doctor dread chips and our other fine jerk products you can go to the website at www.doctordreadsjerk.com. Hopefully they will be finding their way to store shelves in your area soon.”
4. Most who know you know a guy who has spent his entire career working to spread the music and vibes of Jamaica, an island that you have so much love and respect for. How does this new endeavor benefit Jamaica, and the people and interests of Jamaica?
“After seeing a decline in the sales of recorded music it occurred to me to launch a food company which emphasized the culture of Jamaica. In the same way that I promoted the culture of Jamaica through music, it is my same intention to do this with food. I already have a number of Jamaicans at home and abroad helping me to achieve this goal. I also plan to help support touring musicians by sponsoring them and also to help promote reggae festivals through the Doctor Dread brand name. It is not only myself I look to benefit from this new food company but others who will contribute their time and energy to these efforts.”
5. How can people and/or wholesalers contact you about obtaining ‘Doctor Dread’s Original Jerk Potato Chips’?
“I can be reached at 301-908-9450 or at email@example.com. I give thanks for your support. Raspect. Everytime.”
DOC WAS NICE ENOUGH TO DO A DEADLY MIX OF SOME OF HIS FAVORITE TRACKS, MANY OF WHICH HE PRODUCED WHILE HEAD OF RAS RECORDS (those tracks produced by Doctor Dread have an asterisk).
Don Carlos – Just A Passing Glance*
Barrett Brothers – Capo Dub
Israel Vibration – Same Song
Bunny Wailer – Armagideon (Live at Youth Consciousness Festival 1982)
Black Uhuru – Positive*
Black Uhuru – Positive Dub*
Charlie Chaplin – Enter Charlie (Live at Channel One w/ Roots Radics)*
Inner Circle – Bad Boys*
Israel Vibration – Feelin’ Irie (Live in Studio, Netherlands, 1997)*
Michigan & Smiley – Sugar Daddy*
Peter Broggs – Rastafari Chant Nyabinghi*
Beres Hammond – Putting Up Resistance*
CHECK THE DOCTOR DREAD-MIXED DUB TRACKS FROM THE RAS RECORDS TRIBUTE TO BOB DYLAN TITLED ‘IS IT ROLLIN’ BOB?’